Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Almost Wordless Wednesday Part 2...

Yesterday I wrote about how animals make a huge difference in my son with Asperger's life. Last fall, an agency we work with suggested that we try therapeutic horseback riding. I was intrigued by what I read about the multitude of benefits & transformations from therapeutic riding but I was apprehensive. Two months prior my son went to a classmate's birthday party on a horse farm. It was a miracle we got my son to touch the horse, and 45 minutes to get him to sit on a horse. As soon as the horse moved, he wanted off. It was too overstimulating for him. But I figured it can't hurt to try...

I prepared him for his first visit, well sort of. I got the call at 2:00, my son got out of school at 3:15, and we had to be at the farm by 5:00.  Well at least he didn't have too much time to dwell or overthink it.  I had explained to the manager our previous horse experience. Much to my surprise and delight, my son hopped right on. At first he had a leader (someone who leads the horse) and a sidewalker (a volunteer who walks on the side of the rider, keeping contact to ensure the child is stable & doesn't fall off).  Soon he graduated to riding only with a leader. Of course one time he did fall off--into a plastic garbage can. He was so excited playing a game he didn't realize how far off the horse he leaned.  He popped up laughing--he wasn't hurt but he did think it was funny!

We only have 2 sessions left. I cannot afford to continue and the agency can no longer fund the sessions.  Seven months after he started, he can now ride alone and even trot the horse alone. This is a picture of him riding Leonard, a 12-year old Belgium Draft Gelding.  Little Boy Blue has certainly come a long way...
not only in his riding skill but his overall confidence in himself. And that is worth more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment