Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

I think I know what I want to be when I grow up...

Growing up I had many dreams. I wanted to be a marine biologist. I wanted to be a mad scientist. I wanted to be a chemist. I wanted to be a vet. I wanted to be a doctor. I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to teach. I wanted to be a special events coordinator.

My sister is a nurse.  She has her RN/NP Master's degree. She's an important nurse. Even went to Chicago to help decide what should be in the next national nursing license exams.Since she was born she wanted to be a nurse.  Being 15 months older, we were close. I was right before her in school. "Oh you're Gina's Sister" followed her until we moved.

The years I worked as an EMT/ER tech I was encouraged to go into nursing.  My sister was finishing up her BSN & then her  MSN at the time. "Oh no, not me that's my sister's thing.  She's going to be a great nurse." I would say. I was told, "but you'd be a great nurse too. You have natural ability." I'd just smile and walk away.

I was told that I should be a nurse many times as I worked various jobs.

Then my job was eliminated. Unemployment rots, but an opportunity arose.  I have been given the chance to attend nursing school.  It's an LPN program, but it's a great nursing program.  I took my entrance exam yesterday.  I know I did well.  The director said the acceptance letters will be sent out next week.

I started to tell others about my current opportunity. What did others say, "Oh, I thought you already WERE a nurse.  You just seem like you would be a nurse." I guess this is the right choice for me.


(My sister still doesn't know. I will tell her when I speak with her next, AFTER I get the acceptance letter.  Things have changed a lot since we were little.  We have grown and it's okay to want the same things.  Things have gotten better now that she has children of her own. (Though I think she may have been jealous that I was the first to have a child, even though I am the oldest.  She now has 3 of her own.)  I think she'll be happy for me.  She knows all the good nursing programs around.  It's her thing.  She's now an award winning nurse educator in one of the best nursing programs in her state. )

No comments:

Post a Comment